Terms & Conditions
2019 CAMP AMERICA TERMS & CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION & PLACEMENTThe purpose of this agreement is to set out our professional relationship and detail the services we will provide to you. You should understand that Camp America is a Cultural Exchange Programme. The purpose of our programme is to foster global understanding through shared experiences and friendship with US staff and campers in the unique setting that is an American Summer Camp. We are designated a J – 1 Sponsor by the US Department of State and further information about J – 1 programmes can be found at http://j1visa.state.gov/
Camp America is part of the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS (UK) Ltd) (business address is 37 Queen’s Gate, London, SW7 5HR, +44 207 581 7373).
In particular, you acknowledge that AIFS/Camp America needs to process certain sensitive personal information about you including, but not limited to,
- medical and/or health information; and
- the information contained in your criminal record check, which you are required to provide as part of your application to the Camp America program.
The Camp America Programme
- Camp America does not own any camps. As a first-time applicant your camp will pay Camp America a fee which covers agency sponsorship, administrative fees, SEVIS fee and flight contribution (fee will not exceed $2299 - not including US domestic flight charges and SEVIS fee). As a returner, your camp is billed a SEVIS fee and flight costs (if you opt to take a Camp America flight).
- Applicants who wish to participate on the programme should understand that they enter into this contract with AIFS/Camp America (as the agency charged with finding you a placement) and will be bound by the following conditions. Once placed, you will additionally have an agreement with a specific camp. You confirm that your command of English is sufficient to correctly understand these terms and conditions, the English-language source materials mentioned in this agreement and to effectively communicate abroad.
Services provided by Camp America;
Camp America will;
Provide a basic London – New York return flight the cost of which is covered by the fee paid by your camp to Camp America on successful completion of assignment. If you opt to fly from a European airport other than London, you may be charged an additional fee (see our website). Flights are optional for repeat applicants and per this agreement your camp will be billed for the flight.
Participants placed in California or Wisconsin, participants electing to take the ‘own travel’ option, or participants departing from countries that are designated ‘own transport’ (e.g. Australia & New Zealand) will be required to arrange and pay for their own transport to and from the US. For further details on Own Transport conditions please see ‘Participants arranging their Own Transport to & from the US’ section below.
Assist you in obtaining a J-1 U.S. visa by provision of the DS2019 and give you information relating to your work in the camp and your stay in the U.S.
Arrival to the US
Provide lodging at a hotel or hostel selected by Camp America for the day of your arrival in the New York area, except where specified in your travel to camp information via our on line system. If applicable, Camp America will arrange transportation for your arrival in New York to the Camp America accommodation following your June transatlantic flight. It should be noted that we will provide instructions for onward travel to your camp at the hotel. Participants should expect to undertake transportation from the hotel to camp (which will be via plane, bus or train) by themselves. It should be noted that travel costs incurred at this time should be paid by the participant, but that these costs will be reimbursed by your Camp Director upon production of receipts. We advise that you carry a minimum of $150 in cash for your onward transport to camp. Transportation to camp or a night in the New York hotel, will not be arranged by Camp America for participants who have elected to be on the ‘Own Transport’ scheme, or who originated from countries deemed Own Transport by Camp America. For more information, please see the OT contract available on the website. Please note that many May departures fly directly to Camp and do not include a night in the New York area.
Camp America’s insurance provider meets sponsor requirements (such as insurance solvency rating) as specified by the US Department of State. You will be placed on a ‘group policy’ and where you are required to pay a medical insurance fee, any money paid will be held in a trust account to protect your interests. In return for a medical insurance payment we arrange for insurance to cover your medical treatments up to $500,000 (a lower coverage limit applies to participants over 40 years of age)(semi-private room only) and the cost of flying you home if medically necessary in accordance with the terms of the relevant policy. Participants pay a deductible/excess charge in respect of each separate sickness or injury.
Pre-existing conditions (even if declared in the Camp America application) are not covered by our insurance. Pre-existing Coverage may be available with pre-approval from the insurance company, whereupon payment of an additional fee will secure some additional limited coverage. All applicants (including those taking pre-existing coverage) will be required to complete the Camp America medical questions and submit a medical form signed by a Doctor prior to departure to camp. Mental health conditions are not covered at any time. Complaints regarding medical insurance should be directed to Allen Langer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Our emergency medical assistance is provided by AXA 1-855-327-1411 (from outside the US call +1-312-935-1703). Participants with pre-existing conditions are required to check if the Camp America insurance will provide adequate coverage (or if you will need to take out a private policy) by calling the screening service ‘Travel and Medical Insurance Services’ (TAMIS) at 01689 892 293.
Those not taking Camp America insurance will be required to submit their full policy to Camp America and pay an additional administration fee (currently £35) in order that we can check and confirm coverage meets the regulatory standard and our sponsor obligations.
Make available at Camp America headquarters in Connecticut during normal business hours throughout your stay in the U.S. a member of our staff for purposes of consultation who can be reached by telephone +(203) 399 5414 (from outside the US) or on free-phone 1 866 222 2074 (inside the US) and provide emergency back-up services.
Assist you in completing your application (via face-to-face interview) and, subject to acceptance on to the programme, make your application available to camps searching for staff. Placements are made according to suitability of availability dates, skills and experience. Placement is not guaranteed.
Applications to Camp America
All applicants to the programme should be aware that Camp America is committed to child protection and the safeguarding of children and adults at risk. We require all participants to understand that any inappropriate behaviour toward children and adults at risk in the USA will be reported by camps to law enforcement authorities and the full force of the law will be brought to bear on perpetrators of abuse. We operate a Safer Recruiting policy and will require references, police checks, medical checks and other documents from you to support your application to our programme. Camp America believes that children and adults at risk should never experience abuse of any kind and we are committed to work in a way that keeps Child Protection and Safeguarding at the centre of our practices and procedures.
You can read Camp America’s full Child Protection and Safeguarding policy here: http://www.campamerica.co.uk/about-us/child-protection
To apply to the Camp America programme, you must be at least 18 years of age by June 1st, be able to provide, a police check (or DBS check if applying in the UK) and two references that adhere to our reference policy. You can see our reference policy here http://www.campamerica.co.uk/help/faqs.
You are required to complete the application fully and honestly and failure to fully disclose your criminal and medical background at the earliest stages may result in additional charges and cancellation of application.
Applications cannot be accepted without the Application Fee payment.
We actively promote equality of opportunity for all our applicants and seek out the right mix of talent, skills and potential and we welcome applications from a wide range of candidates. We select all candidates for interview based on their skills, qualifications and experience. At interview, or in a separate discussion, we ensure that an open and measured discussion takes place on the subject of any offences or other matter that might be relevant to a position with Camp America.
Booking a Camp America interview or acceptance of your application at a placement event constitutes application to the programme.
Camp America may refuse to accept an application, or may reject/withdraw an application at any stage without reason.
It is your responsibility to ensure your application is completed and relevant documents submitted in a timely manner. We expect that all references, police checks and medical forms will be submitted and deposits paid no later April 1st. Failure to do so may result in cancellation from the programme with no refund given. If you are placed after April 1st, a separate deadline will be communicated to you. Returners will be expected to adhere to deadlines in order to keep their discounted application rate.
Repeat applicants applying to a new camp are required to have a positive reference from their former camp and attend an interview.
Late applications will only be accepted for pre-placed applicants up until 15th May (depending on availability of embassy interviews in your country of application). A late application fee may apply for all applications received after 1st May.
The Applicant Programme Fees
- Payments to Camp America include Application and Placement Services, J-1 Visa sponsorship medical insurance and (subject to country of application) return flight.
- Third Party costs incurred in obtaining criminal and medical records checks, and costs related to the Embassy J-1 visa application.
- Costs incurred during travel to interview, placement events, orientation, US Embassy and airports.
- Fuel surcharges by airlines and departure taxes are subject to change and increases will be passed on to participants.
- Transportation costs from the Camp America hotel to camp (which will be via plane, bus or train). You are required to take a minimum of $150 to cover your onward travel to camp. These costs will be reimbursed by your Camp Director upon production of receipts
- At the end of camp all participants will be required to make their own way back to New York at their own expense for their return flight.
- Additional charges are made for optional items such as Baggage Insurance, merchandise and certain return flight options. These items can be selected if you wish via your on line Camp America account, which is available to you online following acceptance on the programme.
- Any additional items specified by the camp such as State Police Record checks or additional medical checks. Please note that some camps may require immunizations for Hepatitis A or B, Measles, Mumps or TB and any costs incurred are the responsibility of the applicant to comply with these requirements.
- Programme payments are due 14 days from the date the charge appears on your online Camp America account. You should adhere to deadlines issued via your online Camp America account in order to avoid penalties.
- Following interview, your application will be submitted via your online Camp America account, to the Camp America office for assessment. Once a completed application with references and police check has been received and Assessment Payment made we will determine if your application can be accepted and made available to US Camp Directors to view online. If your application is accepted there is no guarantee that a camp will offer you a summer position. Placements are offered based on a match in your availability, skills and experience. Placements are made from season start through to early July.
- You will be notified of placement via your online Camp America account. You are required to accept your placement within 7 days of the offer being made. We strongly advise you to review, not only the camp information on your online Camp America account, but also the specific camp’s website Once your placement is confirmed, you will be sent a copy of your placement information by email –this will include any specific terms (and any conditions that are in addition or a variation of these terms and conditions). You are expected to pay your Confirmation Fee.
- You are required to declare criminal convictions including juvenile cautions, reprimands and current charges on your application form. This is also a requirement of the US Embassy in the visa process. As Embassy regulations are extremely strict, non-disclosure of information may result in a longer visa process and in some cases visa refusal. Failure to reveal information that is directly relevant to the position sought could lead to withdrawal of an offer of employment. No refunds will be given to participants whose visa has been refused due to a non-disclosed criminal background. Failure to disclose details of criminal convictions (including juvenile, cautions and current charges) are grounds for dismissal from the programme, and will lead to any payments already made being forfeited. If you have had incidents with the law, you are advised to check our website and discuss such matters with your interviewer or the local recruitment office before you are interviewed for the programme. Please note that because all our participants work closely with children our programme comes under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exception) Order 1975 (as amended in 2013) and you must therefore declare relevant spent convictions. Offences relating to drugs or violence will render you ineligible for the programme. Please also note that some camps undertake random drug testing during the summer.
- Camp America requires all participants including returners to provide criminal background checks (see our website or talk to your interviewer for details). Charges for a criminal record check varies from country to country and payment will be the responsibility of the applicant. Camp America reserves the right to dismiss anyone from the programme without compensation or refund if they are found to have concealed any criminal conviction, caution or pending charge.
- UK only - in the UK, Scotland and Northern Ireland, it is Camp America policy to obtain DBS checks under the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) name. You will be required to supply 3 forms of identification at interview. Following your interview (within 2 days) you will be required to go online and submit your payment for Police Check directly to our processing partner according to instructions we give you. This charge is currently £59 but subject to change beyond our control. If you are unable to present all 3 forms of identification at interview, you will be required to complete an ID check in person with the Post Office. The Post Office will charge a fee for undertaking this ID Check service of approximately £11 which is also subject to change beyond our control. Once you have received your DBS check, you will be required to submit your original DBS certificate to Camp America within 7 days of receiving the check. In some cases the type of Police Check requested may change due to conditions beyond our control.
Applicants who fail to submit their police check forms in a timely manner may be required to obtain additional checks at their own expense.
- Applicants without a clear police check should be aware that additional costs will be incurred if additional checks are deemed necessary and may also incur substantial additional Embassy costs during the visa application process.
- Applicants should be aware that they may be required to complete additional US State Police checks and finger prints (in addition to checks completed in their home country). When required these checks are completed upon arrival at camp. Checks are handled differently by each camp and state. Some additional charges may apply.
- There are a number of medical conditions that render applicants ineligible for the programme. Please see the FAQ section on our website, www.campamerica.co.uk, for the details of our current medical policy. http://www.campamerica.co.uk/help/faqs
- Having checked the website, please discuss with your interviewer any medical problems that you have or have had in the past which may affect your chances of being placed or of participating on the programme. You will be required to complete a medical history form countersigned by your doctor. Failure to disclose relevant medical information at the earliest opportunity is grounds for dismissal from the programme. Any payments already made will be forfeited, and our medical insurance policy rendered invalid.
- Please note that pre-existing medical conditions may not be covered by Camp America’s insurance provider, and participants may be required to buy an independent supplementary policy at their own additional expense to ensure they have sufficient coverage for programme participation. An additional administrative fee will apply in order to check the additional policy meets the necessary regulatory programme standards as set by the US Government. This insurance policy must specifically cover working situations. Exclusions on the policy mean that hospital bills etc. for mental conditions including depression and anxiety, self-harm and injuries caused while intoxicated will not be covered under the policy and you will be personally responsible for any such costs. Please check that the policy document for full details of all exclusions.
- Even after you pass the interview and are accepted as a candidate for the programme and after being offered a place, it remains your responsibility to inform the Camp America office by email to email@example.com of any material changes to your medical or criminal history.
Pre-departure Camp America must be notified if you have been exposed to a communicable disease, have sustained a serious injury or have any other changes to your general medical condition. Camp America reserves the right to vary, delay or cancel your placement should your criminal or medical circumstances change or deteriorate between the time of your application and the date that you are due to depart for the United States . In addition, in the event of a change to your medical information or non-disclosed medical information coming to light, details of this may be disclosed to your named emergency contact for your own protection.
Camps will expect that participants will have been vaccinated against general diseases (e.g. chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella) via their countries general immunization schedule, and you will be asked to evidence this on your Camp America medical form. In some instances, a camp may be unable to take you if you have not been fully vaccinated. If you are concerned, you should discuss this with your Doctor.
- You are expected to supply criminal history documentation and medical documentation within 14 days of placement. The final deadline for all documentations is 1st April.
- You agree to complete all visa requirements including attending personal interview at the United States Embassy or Consulate at your own expense in accordance with the instructions thereof and to be responsible for obtaining a valid passport at least six months prior to departure.
- Once you have accepted a placement and upon receipt of the assessment fee and police check, Camp America will dispatch the DS2019 visa application form required for application for the J-1 visa from your nearest American Consulate.
- You cannot participate on the programme without a J-1 visa stamped in your passport.
- The J1 visa is obtained by attending a face to face interview at your nearest American Embassy/Consulate. All US embassies now impose dollar based visa fees mandated by Congress (currently US$160 plus courier fees), which you will be required to pay in addition to Camp America payments (see our website https://www.campamerica.co.uk/costs/costs-process-explained for the most recent details). Applicants are also responsible for the costs of travel to and from their visa appointment and any courier fees charged by the embassy (see our website for further details of embassy procedures http://www.campamerica.co.uk/help/faqs. Applicants are advised to complete visa interview formalities as soon as possible once placement is confirmed. Interview appointments become very booked up after April 1st – and failure to book a timely appointment or update your online Camp America account with your appointment date will constitute cancellation from the programme.
- It is an expectation of the US Embassy for all participants to provide reason for proof of return to their home country.
- Repeat Applicants – Applicants intending to repeat on the Camp America programme are required to have their visa application submitted to the embassy before March 1st Currently the number of visas that can be issued annually to participants returning for a third summer or more are capped. Therefore, application before February is advised.
- If you are refused a visa by the American authorities, please inform Camp America immediately. Refunds of payments made to Camp America may be made at the discretion of Camp America, once proof of refusal is received. If you have been previously refused a visa, you have failed to follow instructions given by CampAmerica regarding your visa application, or have an undisclosed criminal conviction, no refund will be given. It should be noted that to process your J-1 visa the US Embassy will be required to keep your passport for a number of days in order to print the visa into it. You should notify Camp America if you need to use your passport for other travel in the April to July period. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You are permitted to enter the US no more than 30 days before the programme date shown on your DS2019. This is termed a ‘Grace Period’. You are not permitted to work during this time. Upon successful completion of your programme you have a further grace period of 30 days to depart the US, during which time you are not authorized to work. The United States Government has systems to track participants who over stay their visas and the penalties involved may well include bans of up to 10 years for the violator and their relatives. Camp America will assist the United States authorities in every way to identify anyone who violates the privileges of their J-1 cultural exchange visitor visa. In addition to reporting all violators of the visa to the US authorities, Camp America will report all such visa misdemeanours to the university, college, employer and referees of anyone who abuses the privileges of the visa.
- If you are participating on the Campower programme, you will additionally be required to complete a ‘Monthly Check-In’ which will be emailed to you every three weeks. Completing this questionnaire is a regulation of your programme and failure to do so could potentially have serious visa implications.
- Any participants who fail to comply with our payment, medical or criminal policies may jeopardise their status with the programme. As your visa sponsor, Camp America is required to maintain your visa sponsorship status in the SEVIS system. We have the right to revoke J-1 visa sponsorship at any time if you fail to comply with programme requirements – this includes once your visa has been issued. If your visa is set to ‘inactive’ while you are in the US, you will have 30 days to regularize your status or depart the US.
- You agree to abide by all appropriate regulations and instructions of the U.S. Government, including returning home within the designated period of 30 days following successful completion of the programme.
- As your visa sponsor, Camp America is required to maintain your visa sponsorship status in the SEVIS system. We have the right to revoke J-1 visa sponsorship at any time if you fail to comply with programme requirements – this includes once your visa has been issued by a US embassy. If your visa is set to ‘inactive’ while you are in the US, you will have 30 days to regularize your status or depart the US.
- Camp America does not own or in any way assume responsibility for the operation of camps as they are independently owned and operated. As a consequence, Camp America cannot, and does not, accept liability for any decisions, actions or omissions of whatever nature made by or on behalf of the proprietors or directors of the camps. If you consider that you have suffered any loss, injury or damage whatsoever as a result of any such decisions, actions or omissions, your right to recourse lies against the director or proprietor of the individual camp or resort. Your acceptance of a placement with a camp is subject to this condition.
- You are required to complete a 9 week assignment (10 weeks for Day Camps).
- Any requirement to work longer than 9 weeks should be confirmed with your Camp Director prior to the start of your placement. Participants taking a Day Camp placement may be required to undertake a 10 week placement due to the time off given during the placement. Camp America is required by the US Department of State to keep your SEVIS record updated. You are therefore required to keep Camp America informed of any changes to the length of your placement.
- The responsibility of the camp to you is limited to housing, food, linen, the cost of transport from the arrival city in the U.S. to the camp, and pocket money paid to you by the camp. If any problems should arise between you and your camp during the course of your stay, you must promptly inform our representative in Connecticut via our 24/7 answering service on 1 866 222 2074
- Exception States
In order to comply with State Law, participants placed in California and Wisconsin, will be required to adhere to a different model from the standard Camp America model. Participants will be required to arrange and pay for their own flight (they will pay a lower Camp America fee) and will receive pocket money in line with relevant minimum wage and permitted deductions (including medical insurance, housing and food). Participants accepting a placement in California and Wisconsin will be required to agree to additional Terms and Conditions prior to confirmation of placement.
- Additional costs
In certain states, additional state checks (either criminal or medical) may be applicable. These are usually paid upon arrival to camp and will be confirmed by your camp prior to departure.
- You agree to carry out your Camp Counsellor or Campower duties and other responsibilities towards the participating camp to the best of your ability and with due respect.
- You agree to co-operate fully with those supervising the programme on behalf of Camp America, and you agree to abide by any reasonable instructions they may give you.
- Camp America considers children and young people to be individual and valuable members of society who have an unconditional right to be treated with dignity and respect. As such they should be fully protected against any exertion of inappropriate power, whether sexual, physical or emotional. Relationships with campers, or with anyone under the age of 18, are strictly forbidden. You are not permitted to accept campers as ‘friends’ on social media.
This is a zero tolerance policy. Camp America will fully support any action taken against perpetrators of abuse.
- You agree to abide by all lawful rules and reasonable regulations of Camp America contained herein and of the camp in which you are placed. Please be advised that all camps have a strict no alcohol/drugs policy. This is a zero tolerance policy. Camps will also have no smoking policies that may extend to local towns as well as camp grounds, most camps also operate a curfew requiring you to return to camp by a deadline when on time off. If you break any of these rules you will be required to leave camp immediately and will be responsible for your own costs and for any costs incurred by Camp America through non-payment or reduced payment of fees by the camp. It is illegal to buy, consume or be in possession of alcohol under the age of 21 in the USA.
- Understand that Camp America or its affiliates or agents may, without liability, or expense to themselves take whatever action they deem appropriate with regard to your health and safety and may place you in a hospital for medical services and treatment or, if no hospital is readily available, may place you in the hands of a local medical doctor for treatment. You undertake to reimburse us, our agents or the summer camp in which you are placed for any expenses incurred by us or them in taking any action reasonably considered necessary in the interests of your health and safety, which is not covered by the medical insurance policy. If deemed desirable by Camp America or its agents, you authorise them to transport you back to your country of origin at your own expense.
- You agree to waive and release Camp America and its affiliates, agents and employees from any claims whatsoever arising from any injury, loss, damage, accident, delay, or expense resulting from events beyond its control, including without limitation acts of God, acts of war, strikes, incidents of politically motivated violence, terrorism, sickness or quarantine, government restrictions or regulations, and, in the absence of gross negligence (or negligence in the case of personal injury) by Camp America, arising from the use of any vehicle or from any act or omission by any agent or employee or guests of the participating camp, individual, firm, or company in relation to transportation to, from and within the U.S. or another facility or service organised on your behalf.
- Reimbursement for the full pocket money indicated in your online personal placement profile will be awarded based upon the following criteria of days worked - 63 days for Camp, 70 days for Day Camps. If you do not work the full amount of days indicated above for your respective programme, you will be awarded your pocket money on a pro-rated basis upon the number of days you actually worked. If you leave the programme for any reason, you will also only be given pro-rated pocket money based upon your actual days worked. This pocket money payment includes the refund of payments you paid to Camp America prior to your departure.
- Camp Counselors and Campowers (who hold J-1 visas) are required to file a U.S. Federal income tax return and in certain cases, a State income tax return to satisfy their U.S. income tax liability.Please note that our organization does not have tax preparation capabilities but can provide a referral to an accounting firm which can assist with completing and filing the foregoing tax forms and remitting the tax due to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”). For more information on tax please visit https://www.campamerica.co.uk/taxesYour pocket money may be subject to taxation in your home country. You are responsible for making your own tax declarations. You can note that pocket money includes reimbursement for application fees paid to Camp America.
- Confirmation of your placement via your online Camp America account, is your confirmation to us to ticket your flight. If you withdraw from the programme following the ticketing of your flight, you will be required to pay an additional $275 towards your unused flight ticket. Penalties are necessary because of the expense of flight reservations, interviewing, matching applicants with vacancies and general administrative costs involved in the programme. Camp America must be informed immediately of all cancellations.
- In most instances your departure airport will be assigned according to the country from which you apply. The flight will either be free or subsidised and a regional supplement due.
- No changes to your choice of departure airport can be made after 1st April.
- After you have confirmed your westbound (to US) flight, any changes will incur a penalty fee of $100 prior to departure. If you reject you’re assigned westbound flight within 48 hours of your flight the penalty is increased and can be up to $275.
- Understand that Camp America flights, unless specified otherwise, will normally depart from and return to London (unless a special surcharge is paid to Camp America in order to depart from another airport) and that you are responsible for any other transport costs prior to departure and upon your return.
- You agree to be present in good time for all flights or other transportation provided or arranged by Camp America. Camp America will not provide or be responsible for alternative transportation, except in the case of illness or accident in accordance with its group insurance policy.
- You understand that you must make your own way back to your assigned U.S. departure airport (usually New York) at the end of the programme in time for your return flight and pay any transportation costs from your camp to the airport.
- Detailed procedures of eastbound (from US) flights will be sent to you from April 1st.
- Due to a high volume of air travel there are certain dates that may be very difficult to book flights back from the USA. For summer 2019 these dates are August 26th to Sept 4th. Unless a flight date is requested before April 1st we will be unable to provide flights during the specified dates.
- You will be required to select your return flight option before you depart for the U.S. and changes are possible pre-departure. If you need to change your return flight date once in the US a change fee of $275 will apply. All changes will be subject to airline availability in the booking classes or codes that we utilize and we cannot guarantee that your requested date will be available. In some cases flights might be available at a price over and above that covered by the $275 change fee and if this is the case you will be offered the option to pay the costs over and above $275 in order to get the date you have requested or remain at your original date or accept an alternative date that we can offer within the $275 change fee.
- As an OWN TRAVELLER you are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to and from America - you are not eligible to fly on a Camp America flight in either direction or stay in the Camp America hotel.
- The deadline for changing to either a Camp America flight or the Own Transport option is 1st March (note, Camp America flight option is not available for applicants placed in California/Wisconsin). Any changes after this date will be subject to a penalty fee being imposed.
- Your Camp Director is responsible for providing you with information about how to get to the camp.
- You are advised not to make any international/domestic flight arrangements that cannot be cancelled/altered without a refund, even if you have had a placement confirmed. This is in case last minute placement changes have to be made or the placement falls through, or your visa is delayed/not granted. Camp America will not make any compensation payments for any travel arrangements that you need to change or cancel in any circumstances.
- All flights or other bookings purchased from Camp America agents are considered to be private arrangements made independently and are not part of the Camp America programmes in any respect.
- Your date of arrival at your camp must be in strict accordance with your camp’s instructions, and should coincide with the Camp America arrival date on your placement information. . At the end of your 9-12 week assignment you will be responsible for your own transport home. The insurance package will commence 2 days prior to the start date listed on the placement page of your online Camp America account. If you are going to enter the US prior to this date you must contact email@example.com. Coverage ends at 153 days, October 31st or the date you cease to be a Camp America participant. Failure to show at camp will result in all insurance being terminated.
- If you are fired it is your responsibility to make your own return flight reservations and all costs incurred are your responsibility.
- If Camp America does not accept your application, or if we fail to find you a placement, you will receive a refund of all payments made to Camp America. Please note that third party costs are not refundable. Being unplaced in a season will not affect any future applications to Camp America.
- Substantial expenses are incurred by Camp America on your behalf while your application is considered by Camp Directors. If you withdraw following a successful interview, you will forfeit your Application Fee, Assessment Fee and Confirmation Fee. (At Camp America’s discretion exceptions may be made in some cases of bona fide illness or medical incapacity as confirmed by a medical certificate.) If you decide to withdraw from the programme, you must inform Camp America via your online Camp America account immediately in order to reduce or limit penalties due.
- After placement, if you fail to participate for any reason except bona fide illness, medical incapacity (as confirmed by a medical certificate and at Camp America’s discretion), the Application, Assessment and Confirmation payments, together with any regional flight surcharges will be forfeit.
- Should you decide to leave camp early or if you do not qualify for or accept a rematch, you will be liable to reimburse Camp America a portion of the agency fee (US$800) which is normally paid by camp on the completion of your 9 week assignment. This amount will be pro-rated (as will your pocket money) according to the number of days completed.
- If you are unable to complete your assignment due to a medical reason (as determined by a doctor in the US) Camp America Insurance, if purchased, will cover the cost of your alternative flight home in accordance with the terms of the relevant policy (pre-existing conditions may not be covered). The amount of pocket money to be paid will be determined on the time you worked on camp. Application payments, airport tax contribution, insurance payment and all other payments will not be refunded.
- If you are fired from camp, resign, leave camp due to homesickness or if you engage in conduct that in the opinion of Camp America is deemed detrimental, our sponsorship will be revoked, you will forfeit your pocket money, application payments, airport tax contribution, insurance payment and all other payments. You will be financially responsible for your costs to fly home and subject to the terms of program reimbursement stipulated in item 28. In such cases you are required to contact Camp America immediately on 1-866-222-2074 (24 hour number)
- Camp America has a legal and moral obligation to report to the US authorities anyone who leaves the programme prematurely (of their own decision or by being fired from camp for any reason) or who in any other way violates their J-1 cultural exchange visitor’s visa. You will also be liable to pay up to US$800 to cover costs incurred by Camp America through non-payment or reduced payment of fees by the camp.
- Sometimes participants may seek a rematch to a different camp while in the US. Once you arrive in the US, Camp America’s ability to rematch you, if your initial placement is unsuitable, is limited, but we will make every effort. It is important that you contact our US office and if possible, we will undertake the search for an alternative placement however, it is extremely difficult without a positive recommendation from your previous camp. Accommodation and food costs etc during the time of seeking a new placement will be your responsibility. During this time you will be required to maintain daily contact with our US office or will be deemed to have left the programme and cancellation of our visa sponsorship will ensue. Even with a positive recommendation rematch after firing is at Camp America’s discretion, and if not possible, penalty fees will apply.
- In order to protect the children in the facilities to which we send staff, Camp America reserves the right to cancel placement without explanation right up to the moment of departure. In these very rare circumstances, at Camp America's discretion, a refund of charges will be made.
- We take complaints very seriously and request complaints to be put in writing. We will always endeavour to provide you with a detailed response in a timely manner. Applicants should be aware that all refund claims should be submitted by November 30th in the year you applied for or participated on Camp America programme. No further claims will be accepted after this time. Complaints should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading of ‘Complaint’. Insurance complaints should be emailed to email@example.com
- It should be noted that only Camp America fees are refundable and such determination will be made by Camp America at its sole discretion. Third party fees are non-refundable.
- Understand and acknowledge that you are not an employee or agent of Camp America or any affiliate thereof and agree not to make any representations to any third party or employee of the participating camp to that effect. You understand that you are a cultural exchange visitor.
- As a Cultural Exchange Visitor you are expected to experience and form a greater understanding of the culture of the US. Camp America encourages you take full advantage of days off and time after camp to travel, learn and enjoy.
Payments to Camp America are below. Seasonal discounts may apply, see our website for details.
United Kingdom Fees for 2018/19
First Time Applicants & Repeat Applicants to a new camp - with a Camp America FlightApplication Fee £35 – due pre-interview
Assessment Fee £ 150 - due when your application is accepted.
Confirmation Fee £214 – due when you accept a placement
Med Insurance £ 200
Total Camp America Fee £599
First Time Applicants & Repeat Applicants to a new camp - arranging their own transportApplication Fee £35 – due pre-interview
Assessment Fee £150 - due when your application is accepted.
Confirmation Fee £214 – due when you accept a placement
Med Insurance £ included
Total Camp America Fee £399
Repeat Applicants returning to the same camp - arranging their own transport to the US:Application Fee £35
Assessment Fee £150
Confirmation Fee - £170
Medical Insurance £ included
Repeat Applicants returning to the same camp taking a Camp America flight:Application Fee £35
Assessment Fee £150
Confirmation Fee £214
Medical Insurance £36
Your camp will be billed for your flight. Currently this amount is $995 for a flight to NYC. (Other cities in the US may be more expensive).
Camp America flights depart from London. Departures from other regional airports will incur a supplement.
ALL APPLICATIONS will additionally be required to pay:approximately £59 DBS cost (payable in the UK) – due when you submit your application.
approximately $160 UK embassy fee plus
courier fee – due when you accept a camp placement
The above costs are paid by you directly to the appropriate third party organisations. As third party costs, these are subject to change and are non-refundable.
In all instances your camp will be charged a SEVIS fee of $35
Recruitment in Australia, New Zealand, Poland and Germany is managed by a local AIFS office or partner office.
Details of fees in local currencies for applicants from these and many other countries are detailed on our website.
Camp America is a division of the American Institute for Foreign Study (UK) Ltd.
*For sale of travel insurance American Institute for Foreign Study UK Ltd, 37 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5HR, (registration number 493329) is an appointed representative of CareMed GmbH, Budapester Str. 4 53111 Bonn, Germany, who are EEA Authorised and registered in the UK with the FCA, their registration number is 473510. Full details can be found online in the FCA Register http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/home.do or by contacting the FCA on 0845 606 1234.
Camp America (AIFS UK Ltd) offers insurance products from a single overseas insurer and you should note that money received for insurance is transmitted outside of the UK. We provide ‘non-advised sales’ which means you will not receive advice or recommendation from us with regard to travel insurance
PLEASE NOTE: Prices are fixed until December 1st, however third Party costs (detailed in the section ‘What is Not Included in the Programme Fee’) are subject to airline and Government revision and cannot be guaranteed.
Returner fees increase from 1st February.
What is included in the Applicant Programme Fee?
What is not included in the Programme Fee?
Acceptance on to the programme
Notification of Placement
Criminal Background Checks
Medical Background Checks
Changes to your Criminal or Medical Background
Obtaining the J-1 Visa
Visa Regulations – while in the USA.
Participation on Camp America – placement on a camp.
While on Camp:
Behaviour, drugs and alcohol
Emergencies while in the US
Pocket Money (payment from Camp) and Taxes
Participants taking a Camp America Flight to the US
Participants taking a Camp America Flight from the US
Participants arranging their Own Transport to & from the US
For participants from Australia & New Zealand; our local offices will provide you with a referral to partner travel agents who can provide assistance. Pocket money rates paid to Australian and New Zealand participants have been enhanced to include a contribution towards airline costs.
If Camp America fail to place you
If you withdraw from the programme: before placement.
If you withdraw from the programme: after placement (prior to departure)
Once in the US: if you withdraw from the programme or your placement is terminated
Seeking a rematch while in the US
Camp America withdrawing a placement prior to departure.
Refunds and Complaints
Participation on a Cultural Exchange Visitor Programme
Understand that Camp America and its staff undertake at all times to treat applicants and enquirers with courtesy and respect. In return for this we require our applicants to always be courteous and polite to our staff and associates. You therefore agree that hostile or aggressive behaviour by applicants will result in immediate cancellation from the programme and the forfeiting of all payments.
You understand that the American Institute for Foreign Study’s Camp America programme is a designated J-1 Exchange Visitor Program sponsor through the US Department of State. As such it adheres to strict regulatory provisions with regard to the cultural exchange component, your placement and working conditions as well as safeguarding your health, safety and welfare. You may contact Camp America's Responsible Office Dennis Regan by telephone toll-free within the US at 800.727.8233 Ext 5107 or direct at +1 203.399.5107 as well as by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also reach the Department of State 24 Hour Summer Work Travel Helpline by telephone toll free within the US at 1.866.283.9090 and email at email@example.com. For more information on the Exchange Visitor Program please CLICK
You agree that any dispute with the American Institute of Foreign Study/Camp America that is not settled informally will be submitted to binding arbitration. The location of the arbitration and identity of the arbitrator will be decided by mutual agreement, with the costs to be shared equally between the parties, and the decision of the arbitrator will be final.
By accepting these Terms and Conditions you understand that you are giving up your right to have any claim against the American Institute for Foreign Study / Camp America decided in Court before a judge or jury. By accepting the terms of this agreement, the US Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of the agreement. You and Camp America as well as the American Institute of Foreign Study Inc, are each waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action.
You understand that the law of the State of Connecticut should apply to the Agreement between us and you agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the Connecticut Courts.